How can I manage vaginal discharge while i'm pregnant?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Normal

Some vaginal discharge is normal and you can't really do anything to make it go away.
I like to remind patients that the cervix is a gland that produces mucus just like your salivary glands always produce saliva. Cervical mucus actually protects and prevents vaginal infections and uterine infections. Think of it as a unidirectional cleaning system. A normal dischage should burn or foul odor.

In brief: Normal

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Vaginal Discharge

Vaginal discharge in pregnancy can be due to increase of vaginal secretions due to the pregnancy, scanty loss of urine (which can be normal), or minor infection.
Changing frequently, using a panty-liner, and discussing with your obstetrician is a good idea.

In brief: Vaginal Discharge

Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Get tested

Yeast infections & bacterial vaginosis are nonsexually transmitted vaginal infections which are common in pregnancy.
If you are having vaginal discharge you should should be tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia & trichomoniasis. Some women will have excess vaginal discharge without having an infection from the hormonal changes of pregnancy. Many also leak small amounts of urine during pregnancy.

In brief: Get tested

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham