How effective is medical marijuana as a glaucoma treatment? I'm curious if medical marijuana can reduce intraocular pressure. Some of the drugs my doctor has prescribed for my glaucoma haven't worked that well. Is medical marijuana a good glaucoma treatme

Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

It is the active ingredient of marijuana, thc, that lowers the pressure in the eye.
In order for a glaucoma medication to be effective, it must lower the pressure all of the time. So for marijuana to be effective, you would have to high all of the time, even when asleep.

In brief: No

Dr. Alma Murphy
Ophthalmology

In brief: Medical

Medical marijuana is becoming available in some states.
I think the unknown is what "dose" is effective and how often the patient need to "take" it. It would be better to rely on more standard therapy. If eyedrops do not control the pressure then laser therapy is available.

In brief: Medical

Dr. Vikram Patel