Experienced my 2nd kidney stone yesterday. How can I prevent passing another? I'm 26 years old, and yesterday i passed a kidney stone. This was my second experience with a kidney stone, as i also passed one about 15-months ago. As anybody that has experie

Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Diet modification

You can have your urine analyzed for kidney stone risk factors.
My usual recommendations are 1) increase plain water to at least 2 liters a day 2) decrease sodium intake 3) decrease animal protein intake 4) add a teaspoon of real lemon juice to diet daily.

In brief: Diet modification

Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Dr. Philip Schwarzman
Agree except that 1tsp of lemon juiced is probably not enough and the amount of lemon juice that could make a difference would be more than the average person would want to consume.
Dr. Donald Pick
Urology

In brief: If

If you have already passed two stones at age 26, you definitely need further work up to avoid or delay passing more stones in the future.
While drinking over two liters of fluid per day (enough to keep your urine light yellow or clear) can help, you should consider a metabolic workup. This would include a 24 hour urine stone risk profile and some blood tests. Based on this, your doctor can work with you to either adjust your diet, or prescibe medication that can help reduce the incidence of future stones. In addition, you should undergo imaging such as an ultrasound or ct scan to assess your existing stone burden.

In brief: If

Dr. Donald Pick
Dr. Donald Pick
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine