I had a hysterectomy in october 2009, why would i now have a period 2 years later? I went to a dr and she said all of my uterus apparently has not been removed, she said live with it, go on the pill and would not recommend going back in and removing the r

Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Supracervical hyst

Some doctors perform supracervical hysterectomy despite there being no scientific evidence stating that it is better for sexual function or pelvic support.
Also, 10% of the time periods still occur because endometrium was left besides cervix. If it bothers you, go see a gyn oncologist to perform a trachelectomy (removal of cervix).

In brief: Supracervical hyst

Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. Daniel Jacobson

In brief: It

It depends on what kind of hysterectomy you had.
If they did a subtotal or supracervical hysterectomy, they may have removed the body of the uterus, but left the cervix. Studies have shown that at times, a small amount of uterine tissue can be left behind with the cervix, and up to 15% of women can continue to have some type of bleeding after their "hysterectomy.".

In brief: It

Dr. Daniel Jacobson
Dr. Daniel Jacobson
Dr. Jane Van Dis