What is causing my one year old son to sweat a lot when he is nursing? Mostly at night when my son is nursing, his forehead is warm and the back of his neck sweats so much that by the time he finishes nursing and falls asleep, the entire back of his neck

Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology

In brief: Unless

Unless there's something else going on don't worry.
See pediatrician to relieve your mind and to make sure there's nothing else wrong.

In brief: Unless

Dr. Robert Jackson
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The first thing is to make sure he is actually sweating.
Just to be sweating at the back of the neck would be unusual. Often when babies are nursing (especially when they are nursing themselves to sleep) their muscle tone relaxes and they can dribble milk out of their mouths. With many nursing positions, this milk will drain around his neck unseen and soak the back of his head. Check for this possibility first. If he is indeed sweating, speak with your son's doctor. Sweating with feeds can be a sign of a heart problem, though with a child that is active and growing well, this would be highly unlikely. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey