Do I have the symptoms for cataracts? In the past year, I have had trouble seeing clearly, especially at night. I'm diabetic and just turned 60. Could I have cataracts?

Dr. Jeffrey Davis
Ophthalmology

In brief: It

It is certainly possible you are having some symptoms from cataracts.
A cataract is a change to your natural lens (usually clouding of the lens). Diabetics tend to get cataracts earlier. Symptoms such as decreased vision, glare/halos around lights at night, or a decrease in overall night vision are common symptoms. A full dialated eye exam will allow your ophthalmologist to examine your natural lens and tell you the status of your cataract. As mentioned earlier, modern cataract surgery is painless and hugely sucessfull. The main indication for surgery is ultimately in your hands. I tell my patients, "it is time to do surgery when you say it is time to do surgery". Basically, your symptoms have to be bothering you enough to want to go through cataract sugery and the associated risks with surgery.

In brief: It

Dr. Jeffrey Davis
Dr. Jeffrey Davis
Dr. Alma Murphy
Ophthalmology

In brief: Cataracts

Cataracts decrease the clarity of vision, especially at night.
Diabetics often develop cataract at a younger age, so your symptoms could indicate that you have cataracts. Only a complete eye examination will determine the cause of your unclear vision. Fortunately, cataract surgery is a brief and painless outpatient procedure that will restore eyesight. The need for eyeglasses can often be reduced or even eliminated with the intraocular lens that is implanted at the time of cataract surgery. The links below will explain more cataract surgery.

In brief: Cataracts

Dr. Alma Murphy
Dr. Alma Murphy
Dr. Vicken Poochikian