Will genioplasty leave major scars on my face? I am considering genioplasty to make my receding chin more prominent, but i'm afraid of having surgery in such an obvious area. Are the incisions made in a hidden area such as under the chin? Are they small e

Dr. James Sunwoo
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Genioplasty

Genioplasty is a procedure commonly done from inside the mouth, in which case all incisions are hidden within the oral cavity.
Traditionally, there are no incisions made on the face, and therefore no scars on the face either. Chin implants usually require a small incision hidden on the underside of the chin. Hope this helps!

In brief: Genioplasty

Dr. James Sunwoo
Dr. James Sunwoo
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Under chin/in mouth

Yes depending on a discussion between you and the surgeon, chin implants can be placed through a hidden incision under the chin or inside the mouth.
I prefer the former as i believe it is likely to contaminate the incision or implant with saliva. I also use th outside incision to perform neck liposuction which can enhance the appearance of a chin implant.

In brief: Under chin/in mouth

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Ofer Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends.

Depends. If the bone is advanced the incisions are inside the mouth.
If an implant is used, the scar will be underneath the chin or inside the mouth. If fat is used, scars are really tiny.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Ofer Rodriguez
Dr. Ofer Rodriguez