Can nasonex (mometasone) nasal spray make you gain weight? I use it daily. 2 sprays in each nostril? I have chronic sinusitus.

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The active ingredient in Nasonex nasal spray is mometasone which is the nasal steroid least absorbed into the blood stream. Also, when looking at the side effect profile of this medication, weight gain is not on the list.
So it is very unlikely that Nasonex in a normal dose (such as what you are on) causes weight gain. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Thomas Klein
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Unlikely

Using 2 sprays in each nostril of Nasonex (mometasone) once daily is the recommended dose.
Although it is a steroid it is not a hefty dose and such a small amount gets absorbed into the body. I highly doubt it is the cause of weight gain but i learned never to say never. Try to cut the med to one spray in each nostril once daily and see what happens. You symptoms may not require the top dose.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine