Precocious puberty hi, we have an 8 1/2 yr old boy. We are noticing that his underarm hair is visibly darker and has visible upper lip hair. He is prone to developing body odour, though does not drink enough water and sweats easily. We raised the conce

Andrenarche. What you are describing all fits with the activities of the adrenal glands, which can become more active a couple years before puberty. Boys first sign of puberty is the change in their testis from peanut size to giant olive. Your info was cut off mid sentence... I see this in normal kids. If concerned get a 2nd opinion.
Look at testes. The first sign of puberty in a boy is testes enlargement. Pubic hair is controlled by the adrenal gland is usually a benign condition. However, the best answer is for a pediatric endocrinologist to take a look at him.
Precocious. Precocious puberty (early puberty) is any evidence of puberty in a girl younger than 8 or a boy younger than 9. This is usually first explored with a history, physical, a study of your child's growth chart and possibly a bone age. A bone age is an x-ray - typically of the child's wrist - to show whether the child is maturing and growing faster, slower or on time with their actual age. All this information can help tell whether the child is developing normally after all and should just be watched or whether they should have further work-up to determine if there is a hormone problem causing the early puberty. If you are still concerned, speak with your child's pediatrician again. If you are not satisfied with their answer, then a pediatric endocrinologist is the specialist that handles the work-up, diagnosis and treatment of these problems. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.