My mother is 75 yrs old and she is having surgery on monday to have both ovaries taken out because she has cysts on both ovaries. The doc says they have grown 50% in the last 3 months, but an oncologist is taking them out, not a gynocoligist...Is there a

There. There is always a chance that ovaries with growing masses could signify cancer. The chance that ovarian masses could be cancer rises with age. Thus it was a good decision to have the oncologist involoved in the surgery.
It is possible. Enlarged ovaries after menopause are removed because there is possibility there is ovarian cancer present. That is why the operation is done by a gyn oncologist and not a regular gynecologist. If there is cancer the gyn oncologist can perform appropriate staging biopsies to find out the extent of the cancer all in one operation.