Do I have to have a biopsy before I have surgery for bph?

Dr. Barry Kahn
Pathology
In brief: Typically no....
A prostate biopsy would often be performed to help rule out the possibility of prostate cancer in a patient with an elevated psa.
Surgery for BPH might be indicated if signs of urinary obstruction were present. Your urologist would be able to clarify your particular situation.

In brief: Typically no....
Dr. Barry Kahn
Dr. Barry Kahn
In brief: It depends
As a general rule, a prostate biopsy is not required prior to having a procedure for bph.
However, if there is an elevation in the psa (prostate specific antigen) level and/or an abnormality on prostate exam, then your physician may recommend performing a biopsy first - particularly if a diagnosis of prostate cancer may impact the course of treatment.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery