What's a good equivalent to elavil? I have severe anxiety and slight insomnia and am prescribed 3mg of Xanax a day and 50mg of elavil at night. I've been on Xanax for years and it works for me. I've just recently been prescribed elavil and it does help me

Dr. Jane Velez
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Elavil (amitriptyline)

Elavil is an old antidepressant used for fibromyalgia.
Lexapro is a newer antidepressant with similar qualities that helps with sleep. Cymbalta works for pain in some people. You are on a fairly high dose of xanax (alprazolam). Maybe you should try klonapin, which last longer...

In brief: Elavil (amitriptyline)

Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Walter Root

In brief: Elavil (amitriptyline)

Elavil (amitriptyline) is a tricyclic antidepressant with a multitude of side effects.
Given your issues with sleep and anxiety, i would recommend you see a good psychiatrist who will take a complete psychiatric history so that you can get a proper diagnoses and get on the proper medications to give you back your life. I also teach my patients how to lose weight, and keep it off, without the pain of diet and exercise...

In brief: Elavil (amitriptyline)

Dr. Walter Root
Dr. Walter Root
Dr. Eric Weisman