Can tendonitis cause carpal tunnel syndrome? I had tendonitis in my wrist. The symptoms i had have gone away, but now I have tingling in my wrist and hands and sometimes shooting pain when i bend my wrist. Could the tendonitis have caused carpal tunnel sy

Dr. Gary Pess
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: It depends.

It depends.
If the tendinitis was of the flexor tendons the answer is yes. If it was dequervain's tendinitis or extensor tenosynovitis the answer is no.

In brief: It depends.

It depends.
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Carpal Tunnel Synd

Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by any process that leads to inflammation in the carpal tunnel.
This can be injury, diabetes, or tendonitis. You should seek a consultation with a qualified hand specialist in your area to discuss treatment options.

In brief: Carpal Tunnel Synd

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: The

The short answer is no the tendonitis unlikley "caused" carpal tunnel.
But the longer answer includes the idea that the same factors that led to tendinitis in your wrist could in fact lead to carpal tunnel. It may also be that you did not have tendonitis in your wrist but had some early pain in your wrist from the very same carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel can present initially as wrist pain even without tingling or numbness in fingers. It is characterized at times by aching pain on the palm or volar side of the wrist near the wrist creases. Usually more of a dull throb or ache rather than a sharp pain. Regardless of the route or cause you should seek medical attention in your own area from your own doctor if you feel you might have carpal tunnel. This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

In brief: The

Dr. Eric Weisman