My lip ring healed over i got a lip ring (it's a flat-backed stud) a few months ago, but last week it healed completely over the back. I have an appointment for a physical next week. Is it safe to wait, and will it be difficult to remove?

In brief: Lip Ring

If there are no signs of infection it isn't an emergency.
However, usually the time allotted for a physical exam does need leave time to incise your lip to remove the ring.

In brief: Lip Ring

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The main complication of an embedded ear ring or lip ring is infection.
If there is any swelling, redness, or tenderness around the area, you need to see your doctor immediately. You should call your doctor anyway and schedule an appointment for removal of the lip ring. Most doctors will not be able to do the procedure during the time allotted for just the physical, so call first to make sure. As far as the removal goes, the difficulty depends on how far in it is embedded and how much scar tissue you have surrounding the lip ring. It is usually removed by the doctor applying a numbing medication, cleaning the area and then either making a small incision or just pushing it out. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Vicken Poochikian