Can children get gastroesophageal reflux disease? My 8-year-old has been complaining about burning in her chest after eating certain foods. Is it possible that she has gerd, or is it only an adult disease?

Dr. Dan Lister
Surgery

Yes, children can suffer from reflux.
It is especially common in kids that were premature at birth. See a pediatric gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis.

Yes, children can suffer from reflux.
Dr. Dan Lister
Dr. Dan Lister
Dr. Elizabeth Yen
Reflux is also quite common in children and easily treated. A general pediatrician will usually start therapy and refer to a specialist if there is poor response or if there are other worrisome signs.
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Children

Children (and infants) can most definitely get gastroesophageal reflux disease.
In fact, it is not at all uncommon. Here are a few tips you can try: - milk is a great antacid. You can have her drink a glass if she's feeling a little discomfort. -try and pay attention to what foods cause the problem - fatty/greasy foods? Acidic foods like tomato sauce and citrus? Carbonated beverages? Avoiding these foods can help alleviate the problem. -make sure she's not eating close to bedtime. Eating an hour or two before laying down can worsen reflux symptoms. If her symptoms are worsening, becoming more frequent or if any of the above suggestions do not help, it's worth contacting her doctor to discuss other treatment options. Sometimes a stronger acid blocker is required for a few months to heal everything completely. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Children

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham