Can children have hyperthyroidism? My son’s been anxious, can’t sit still and can’t concentrate. I thought maybe adhd, but the doctor says no. Now he’s losing weight, even though he eats a lot. Maybe more than usual. Could he have hyperthyroidism? He’s 6.

Dr. Daniel Marks
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Yes,

Yes, this is possible.
Grave's disease is relatively rare at this age, but certainly not unheard of. It is easy to test for with a simple blood test. That being said, out of a thousand children with the symptoms your child has at age 6, perhaps one would have hyperthyroidism as a cause.

In brief: Yes,

Yes, this is possible.
Dr. Daniel Marks
Dr. Daniel Marks
Dr. Julio Pajaro
I would also add that since ADHD is an indirect Dx, your PCP should have looked into possible medical conditions that can account for your child's problems and that would include the eval of the thyroid. How did he rule out ADHD?
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

Hyperthyroidism can occur at any age.
His symptoms suggest hyperthyroidism. I recommend seeing his physician to get tested.

Hyperthyroidism can occur at any age.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Jane Velez
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Yes to child thyroid

Children can indeed have thyroid disorders! i became very tired at age ten.
The doctor suspected mono, but it turned out to be hypothyroidism. If it can go down, it can certainly go up! talk to your child's pediatrician and ask for blood work to rule it out. Don't back down! rapid pulse is common in hyperthyroidism too, and can exhaust your heart after a couple of years. He could have adhd too.

In brief: Yes to child thyroid

Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Jonathan Jassey