How do I know i need to see a doctor about ACL reconstruction? One of my knees is loose and sometimes feels like it is going to pop out if i come down on it wrong. I’ve managed it, but it feels like it is getting weaker. Should i see a doctor about ACL re

Dr. Kim Fagan
Sports Medicine

In brief: Did you injure?

Acl disruptions are typically related to an acute injury.
These injuries do not have to be contact injury, in fact, they are often non-contact: athlete running and making a quick cut / deceleration (sudden stop). In a rare case you will hear of someone born without an intact ligament. So if you feel unstable see sports doctor for evaluation but w/o injury doubt acl tear.

In brief: Did you injure?

Dr. Kim Fagan
Dr. Kim Fagan
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine

In brief: You should go

If you are having the symptoms that you described in your question then you may be doing more damage to your knee each time you feel like it is going to pop out.
Get evaluated by an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in acl treatments.

In brief: You should go

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine

In brief: Yes.

Yes. If after an examination and probable MRI you are indeed diagnosed with an acl tear, surgery is an option.
This will depend on your age, desired activity level, expectations, and other issues. Nonsurgical options exist as well, and this will/should be discussed by your doctor.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine