How long should one wait after having children before going back on the pill? My due date is in may, and i would look to go back on the pill after I have my son. How long should I wait before i can begin to use this method of contraception?

Dr. Paula Hillard

In brief: 3-6 weeks

Ask your doctor even before your delivery.
Depending on your health and risk factors, you can restart the pill in 3-6 weeks after delivery. I hope that you are planning to breast feed--it's the healthiest thing for your baby and easiest for you. That will also determine when you can restart, and which pills are safest.

In brief: 3-6 weeks

Dr. Paula Hillard
Dr. Paula Hillard
Dr. Leslie Miller

In brief: Birth

Birth control pills always have a progestin hormone which is the signal to change the mucus of the cervix and if the dose is high enough to block ovulation.
Estrogen is also often added to the birth control pill to help stop ovulation, regulate bleeding, and to allow lower progestin doses. Estrogen can increase blood clot risk and suppress lactation. Hence the answer to your question depends on if you are going to breast feed. If you are breast feeding typically you start a low progestin only dose pill a week before you plan to have sex, usually around 5 weeks post partum, and then you switch to a combination pill (one with estrogen) when you wean or at 6 months because by then your milk production is well established and the risk you could ovulate is higher the longer from the delivery. If you are not breast feeding then start the regular pill no sooner than 3 weeks post partum and usually around 5 weeks post partum.

In brief: Birth

Dr. Leslie Miller
Dr. Leslie Miller
Dr. Shontae Buffington