What might cause an occasional sharp pain in the eye? Once every week or so I get a sudden sharp pain, always in my left eye. It feels similar to an eyelash, but is worse and is not caused by anything in my eye. I do not have insurance right now, is this

Pain . Pain in the eye like you described can be caused by dry eyes or by misdirected eye lashes. Try artificial tears first. You can buy artificial tears over the counter. If eye drops do not help, then you should see an eye doctor who will use a microscope to determine the cause of your eye pain. If there is a misdirected lash, your eye doctor can remove it.
Dry eye treatment. Your description sounds like dry eye. Initial treatment is frequent artificial tears during the day, ointment at night, warm compresses a few times a day, and omega-3 fatty acid supplements. If no improvement, you should see an eye doctor for further evaluation.