Is my vision too bad for lasik to correct? My eyesight has been very bad all of my life, it scored -5.5 at my last check up. I have considered the option of lasik eye surgery, but i don't want to get my hopes up for having 20/20 vision afterward if it's n

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Lasik

Lasik can correct up to about -10 diopters as long as everything else is normal.
You should be able to consider this option. See a lasik surgeon for further evaluation.

In brief: Lasik

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Andrew Doan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Do

Do you mean that your refraction or "glasses prescription" is -5.
50? If so, then you may be a candidate for refractive surgery if other parameters are okay. You'll need an eye exam to determine your corneal thickness, health of your cornea and eyes.

In brief: Do

Dr. Andrew Doan
Dr. Andrew Doan
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology

In brief: The

The only way to know for sure if you are a good potential candidate for lasik is to obtain an evaluation.
The decision is made based upon a combination of the degree of your correction associated with the thickness and curvature. If not a lasik candidate based on the thickness of your cornea, you may be a candidate for surface ablation prk which gets the same results as lasik. Other options include putting a lens in your eye in front of your own natural lens or removing your lens and replacing it with one to eliminate your need for glasses. I invite you to visit a lasik center to see if any of these options would work for you.

In brief: The

Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Vicken Poochikian