How do I know if i need tear duct reconstruction? I think I have a blocked tear duct. I often have tears in my eyes that run down my cheeks, and sometimes i get eye infections. Am i a candidate for tear duct reconstruction surgery?

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Maybe

You need to have your tear drainage system evaluated to determine if and where your system is blocked.
If it is blocked and it is bothering you, you can can consider surgical repair.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Alma Murphy
Ophthalmology

In brief: You

You may have a blocked tear duct which will cause the eye to water. In the office, your ophthalmologist can perform a minor test, called a tear-duct irrigation, which is quick and painless.
If the tear-duct irrigation shows a blockage of the tear-drainage duct, which is a tiny canal to the inside of your nose, then you may need surgery to correct your tearing. Tearing can be a symptom of other problems such as seasonal allergies, environmental irritants, and even dry-eye irritation. http://eyesaz.com/videos-english/60-dry-eye-how-do-tears-drain-from-the-eyes.html.

In brief: You

Dr. Alma Murphy
Dr. Alma Murphy
Dr. Cindy Juster