How does electrical stimulation help incontinence? My doctor says it’s supposed to help me learn to do kegels the right way, but i don’t understand how that would work? I want to do the exercises right, but don’t like the idea of electricity in that area.

Dr. James Krick
Urology

In brief: Elect. stim

Electrical stimulation therapy is to some degree controversial.
You should ask your practicioner what the longterm success rate is with this therapy.

In brief: Elect. stim

Dr. James Krick
Dr. James Krick
Dr. Scott Beard
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

In brief: First they should

Have u work the muscles using probes to demonstrate how well ur doing.
Then the e stim is done to further strengthen them. U don't feel electricity just feel the muscles squeeze on their own. It's not painful.

In brief: First they should

Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Scott Beard

In brief: The

The short answer is: we don't really know.
It seems to calm the pain transmitting nerves in the pelvis. These nerves can become over-stimulated in patients with urgency incontinence, and using electrical stimulation can quiet this, improving the incontinece. Its valuable in patients who have failed oral medicines and can be fairly successful in a properly selected patient. The intensity of the stimulation can be adjusted and shouldn't be so high as to cause you any pain.

In brief: The

Dr. James Bresee
Dr. James Bresee
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine