Which mosquito carries west nile virus? And how can I recognize it? I’ve heard only one kind of mosquito can actually give you west nile virus. Is there a way to tell if the mosquito that bit me is the “right” kind?

Dr. Hashmat Rajput

In brief: NO

There is no way to recognize a west nile virus mosquito from a non virus carrying mosquito.
They all look same and bite same. I am sorry there is no way to tell the right kind.I know it isn't a big help at this time. May be in future we w'll have more information. Just please avoid all kinds of mosquitos. Thanks.

In brief: NO

Dr. Hashmat Rajput
Dr. Hashmat Rajput
Dr. Muaiad Kittaneh
Addiction Medicine

In brief: West

West nile virus can be carried by more than 40 species of mosquitos.
The common ones are: culex pipiens, culex quinquefasciatus, culex restuans, aedes albopictus and aedes vexans. It is hard to recognize all these species. The best way is to wear mosquito repellant when outside in areas where mosquitos are around.

In brief: West

Dr. Muaiad Kittaneh
Dr. Muaiad Kittaneh
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine