Are there good natural cures for dry eyes? I don’t want to use drugs and medicated eye drops if i can help it. I’ve read that flaxseed oil can help make tears more oily so they don’t evaporate so fast. Is this true? Are there any other natural solutions?

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Dry eye

Try omega-3 fatty acid supplements (preferably fish oil, not flaxseed oil), warm compresses, and adequate fluid intake to maximize hydration.

In brief: Dry eye

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. David Richardson
Ophthalmology

In brief: Although

Although taking flax seed oil by mouth can improve symptoms of dry eye, it will not have an immediate effect (and can take up to two months to be noted).
In the meantime i agree that it is prudent to avoid medicated eye drops. Instead, use of a "preservative-free" artificial tear is both safe and provides immediate relief. These generally are sold over the counter and come in small plastic vials for single use.

In brief: Although

Dr. David Richardson
Dr. David Richardson
Dr. Andrew Doan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Yes,

Yes, using flaxseed oil may help make tears more oily, which may help stabilize your tear film. Other things you can do is good lid hygiene which is described on our website: http://www.
Eye-socal.Com/eyesocal-newsletter/160-why-do-my-eyes-burn.Html artificial tears purchased over-the-counter, are not really "medicated eye drops", and my patients find significant relief from dry eyes when used with the methods mentioned above.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. Andrew Doan
Dr. Andrew Doan
Dr. Peter Kurzweil