Im a 49 year old male. My left elbow seems swollen and like a spongue. There is no pain associated with it. No injuries noted. I did play a round of golf about 2 weeks ago and the following day i noticed the condition. Im am currently on no medications ot

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Olecranon bursitis

Sometimes the sac that covers the bone of the elbow can get inflamed and fluid can leak into it, it can be a little spongy like a big sac of water- which is not too far from the truth.
It can be drained then injected with a small amount of steroid to prevent recurrence. Or you could just avoid any further trauma, take some nsaid's and wait for it to go away.

In brief: Olecranon bursitis

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: There

There is something called called "olecranon bursitis" which is typically a painless swelling over the elbow.
The "bursa" is like a fluid-filled sac over our joints, but usually there is not much fluid in it. If the bursa gets irritated, it can swell with fluid. You can try anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen if you can tolerate that type of medication (and don't have a history of ulcers or bleeding problems), and place an ace wrap or compression dressing on the area. Sometimes, the fluid in the bursa can get infected, and you would need to be seen immediately if you have redness, pain, red streaks from the area, or fever. I have had patients try to drain the fluid on their own, and that can lead to infection.

In brief: There

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine