The psychiatrist wants to put my 9yr old on Lexapro (escitalopram) for her severe anxiety disorder. I want to help her, is this safe? I need advice! !

Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Probably

Lexapro (escitalopram) is widely used for depression and anxiety.
It is not commonly used for children this young, but most children this young do not have severe anxiety. Discuss your concerns with your psychiatrist. You may also want to get some family therapy.

In brief: Probably

Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Jane Velez
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Dont worry Lexapro (escitalopram)

Lexapro (escitalopram) is a mild antidepressant that helps anxiety.
Do not worry about putting your daughter on it. I would put my daughter on it---in fact, my daughter has been on it! you will not notice anything different about your daughter at a low dose-except she will be calmer! not to worry!

Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Luis Vinuela

In brief: Not

Not approved.

In brief: Not

Not approved.
Dr. Luis Vinuela
Dr. Luis Vinuela