I am unable to urinate when i need to for a medical test. I'm job hunting, but many places require a drug test. I really cannot urinate under these circumstances. I do not use drugs nor do I drink, so that is not the issue. What can I do? I really need

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Shy bladder......

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about evaluating the issue, and if no significant pathology is found (like an enlarged prostate), your doctor can provide you with a generic to whom it may concern letter that you have difficulties voiding on command and/or in front of others.
Ask them for a saliva test, or tell them you are willing to give blood for a test.

In brief: Shy bladder......

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: It

It turns out that what you have is common enough to be known as shy or bashful bladder along w/several other colorful monikers.
If we assume that you're otherwise young & healthy, it's likely this is more a psychological issue than a medical one. Of course, if you have any concerns, you should get evaluated by your family physician for an enlarged prostate, decrease bladder contractility, or spinal cord injury. In fact, it's best to avoid such (over-the-counter) medicines, such as those for colds & allergies, eg phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, and diphenhydramine, etc, which cause prostate capsule contraction & decrease bladder strength. My suggestion is to be straightforward w/your potential employer and tell him/her of your medical situation (paruresis) so that they can give you more time/room to produce a urine sample. With that in mind, ask if you can use a private, executive, one-stall facility where you can be frisked before going in (to demonstrate that you don't have a spare urine bag on your person) yet be allowed to urinate in private. You might see if drinking lots of fluids (caffeine, perhaps?) can help you over come this - in an attempt to overwhelm your inhibitions. Another solution that's been around for some time is to listen to running water, eg turn on the faucet (not popular w/environmentalists). Either that, or go see a behavioral therapist, as i'm not aware of any medications to make you urinate upon command. Good luck!

In brief: It

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine