What might be the cause of pain in upper right abdomen? I just started having some pain in my upper right abdomen yesterday. It's just below bottom of my rib cage, and halfway between my side and the center of my chest. It hurts as i move around, and is

In brief: At

At the time of cholecystectomy, some stones can pass in to the bile duct and stay there for a very long time, even years.
Occasionally, years later these stones can manifest symptoms similar to a gallbladder attack. It may be worth investigating with simple lab tests including liver function tests.

In brief: At

Dr. Daniel Tseng
Dr. Daniel Tseng
Dr. Mark Ciaglia
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Gallstones

Right upper quadrant pain is most likely gallstones.
Stones form in the gallbladder and block the passage of bile. More sever forms are acute cholecystitis which require IV antibiotics and surgical removal of the gallbladder. See your pmd and get an ultrasound to see if this is the problem. For the time brig avoid fatty foods as well.

In brief: Gallstones

Dr. Mark Ciaglia
Dr. Mark Ciaglia
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology