I am getting some drainage coming out of my ear. It is not blood it looks more like water. It drys then becomes crusty. I have bad sinuses and have been using a saline nasal cleaning solution i got from the pharmacy. Could this be causing the drainage fro

Dr. Mark Loury
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Probable canal infec

It may be a mild infection or inflammation of the ear canal.
Consider trying several drops of white table vinegar and otc topical steroid cream 2-3 times daily for a few days. If not better may need antibiotic drops.

In brief: Probable canal infec

Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The only way your nasal saline rinse could be coming out of your ear is if you have a hole in your eardrum. Many people have holes in their drums without having any symptoms, so this is a definite possibility.
If it's not from a hole in your ear drum, the fluid is most likely coming from your canal and can be caused by either retained water from a shower or swimming or a canal infection. All of these conditions need to be diagnosed by an ear exam and then can be treated. Your best bet is to contact your doctor for an exam. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Marsha Davis