I have been on oxycontin for chronic pain for 3 months. I am unable to move my bowels. I take 3 types of laxatives. The miniscule fragments are soft and a small amount of mucus is present. I have a history of laxative abuse 25 years ago. Prior to recent s

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Talk to your doc

If it is severe, the dose of Oxycontin should be reduced, at least 10-20%.
There is a medicine called Relistor (methylnaltrexone) that is very effective for opiate-induced constipation, but has to be given as a shot by doctor. A stool softener twice daily, some senna based laxative and a magnesium laxative are best. Am concerned about Oxycontin long-term in anybody your age. Get a second opinion.

In brief: Talk to your doc

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: OIC

Opioid induced constipation occurs frequently.
There is a new medication available just for this problem. http://www.salix.com/products/relistor.aspx.

In brief: OIC

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Jeffrey Duman
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: A

A colonoscopy or xray test may be needed to exclude a blockage.
If no blockage is found then usually over the counter treatments can keep things regular, i like poly-ethylene glycol type products.

In brief: A

Dr. Jeffrey Duman
Dr. Jeffrey Duman
Dr. Eric Weisman