Why do my ears hurt so much when I try to swim to the bottom of the pool?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Pressure change

The pressure of the water against the air in the outside of your ear drum becomes so high it causes pain.
Holding your nose and blowing air into the middle ear equalizes the pressure between the outside of the drum and inside instantly stopping here pain.

In brief: Pressure change

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Rodney Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Maybe ETD

Maybe eustachian tube dysfunction - not being able to clear ears ("pop" them open) when diving.
Divers need to clear your ears every 5-10 feet of diving to prevent ear pain and damage to ears. Could also be a hole in ear drum. Be careful that you do not dive if you notice drainage or blood from ear or have vertigo ("spinning") during or after diving.

In brief: Maybe ETD

Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine