8 doctors weighed in:

How long should I expect swelling to occur post-breast reduction surgery? I am 2 months post breast reduction surgery and am hesitant to sleep without wearing a sports bra because after trying it without one at one month post-op, i swelled significantly o

8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
3 doctors agree

In brief: Mostly Gone.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform. You will likely find that the majority of swelling has already dissipated but will continue to do so over the course of next several months.
Best wishes.

In brief: Mostly Gone.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform. You will likely find that the majority of swelling has already dissipated but will continue to do so over the course of next several months.
Best wishes.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Thank
Dr. Babak Farzaneh
Surgery - Plastics
2 doctors agree

In brief: 3 months-one year

Generally most , around 80% of swelling is gone by the first 3 months, the remaining 20% of the swelling and final remodeling can take up to one year.

In brief: 3 months-one year

Generally most , around 80% of swelling is gone by the first 3 months, the remaining 20% of the swelling and final remodeling can take up to one year.
Dr. Babak Farzaneh
Dr. Babak Farzaneh
Thank
Dr. Jason Hess
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Swelling

Swelling following a major surgery can last for 6 or more months following surgery.
I usually use 6 months as a cutoff. It is unusual for swelling to last significantly beyond this. Sometimes it helps to keep the head of the bed elevated when you sleep. The rest, unfortunately, is up to "mother nature and father time." this is a bit of a vague answer. Everyone is a bit different, so it is a bit difficult to predict. Good luck!

In brief: Swelling

Swelling following a major surgery can last for 6 or more months following surgery.
I usually use 6 months as a cutoff. It is unusual for swelling to last significantly beyond this. Sometimes it helps to keep the head of the bed elevated when you sleep. The rest, unfortunately, is up to "mother nature and father time." this is a bit of a vague answer. Everyone is a bit different, so it is a bit difficult to predict. Good luck!
Dr. Jason Hess
Dr. Jason Hess
Thank
Dr. Herbert Stern
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: I

I usually expect swelling to resolgve gradually over 6 to 8 weeks post-operatively.
Even with smaller breasts, many patients are more comfortable with a light sleep bra to minimize the breasts' pulling to the side without some support. I estimate that final settling does not occur until 3 months, and that is when i take postop pictures. Redness in the scars can take another few months or even up to a year to fade. If there is some volume difference at 4 to 6 months when the tissues are soft and supple, a little liposuction under local anesthesia can improve symmetry. --dr. Herbert stern.

In brief: I

I usually expect swelling to resolgve gradually over 6 to 8 weeks post-operatively.
Even with smaller breasts, many patients are more comfortable with a light sleep bra to minimize the breasts' pulling to the side without some support. I estimate that final settling does not occur until 3 months, and that is when i take postop pictures. Redness in the scars can take another few months or even up to a year to fade. If there is some volume difference at 4 to 6 months when the tissues are soft and supple, a little liposuction under local anesthesia can improve symmetry. --dr. Herbert stern.
Dr. Herbert Stern
Dr. Herbert Stern
Thank
Dr. David Mobley
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Swelling

Swelling after surgery or an injury is really just your body bringing in extra supplies and fluid vital for healing.
After breast reduction, it is the longest lasting of the post-operative changes. Having swelling that comes and goes at night or with less compression (not wearing a sports bra) will usually gradually go away over the first 6 months. It is quite different in each patient so it is impossible to know when it will completely stop happening for you. The good news is, sooner or later it does stop, so don't let it get you down. I also find the breasts get about 30% smaller over the first 6 months as this swelling completely resolves. Important points: 1. The swelling is usually completely gone by 6 months after surgery and seems to last longer in breast reduction patients than other types of surgery 2. You do not have to wear compression 2 months after surgery. The swelling you are experiencing now is not harmful and will not change your final result or size 3. The swelling which occurs at night will usually resolve during the day and is not harmful 4. Intermittent swelling from 2 -6 months after surgery is common and normal especially with breast reduction surgery 5. It is ok to switch to a non-underwire regular bra at 2 months. If you notice soreness underneath then switch back to a bra you know works for you for another month, then try again. I hope this helps. Remember there is no such thing as permanent swelling and it is a vital part of the healing process. Believe it or not, without the swelling we would not heal. -dr. Mobley.

In brief: Swelling

Swelling after surgery or an injury is really just your body bringing in extra supplies and fluid vital for healing.
After breast reduction, it is the longest lasting of the post-operative changes. Having swelling that comes and goes at night or with less compression (not wearing a sports bra) will usually gradually go away over the first 6 months. It is quite different in each patient so it is impossible to know when it will completely stop happening for you. The good news is, sooner or later it does stop, so don't let it get you down. I also find the breasts get about 30% smaller over the first 6 months as this swelling completely resolves. Important points: 1. The swelling is usually completely gone by 6 months after surgery and seems to last longer in breast reduction patients than other types of surgery 2. You do not have to wear compression 2 months after surgery. The swelling you are experiencing now is not harmful and will not change your final result or size 3. The swelling which occurs at night will usually resolve during the day and is not harmful 4. Intermittent swelling from 2 -6 months after surgery is common and normal especially with breast reduction surgery 5. It is ok to switch to a non-underwire regular bra at 2 months. If you notice soreness underneath then switch back to a bra you know works for you for another month, then try again. I hope this helps. Remember there is no such thing as permanent swelling and it is a vital part of the healing process. Believe it or not, without the swelling we would not heal. -dr. Mobley.
Dr. David Mobley
Dr. David Mobley
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery
29 years in practice
938K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors