Dandruff and dry skin I have patches of dry itchy skin on my scalp and hair-line. I also have a few patches of red itchy skin near my eyes and eyebrows. Any idea what would be the cause of this and any solutions would be great too.

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Seborrhea

Seborrhea can cause these findings.
Try anti-dandruff shampoo, gentle exfoliation, Hydrocortisone otc 1% (if associated inflammation), and eucerin ointment as needed. If no improvement, see a dermatologist.

In brief: Seborrhea

Seborrhea can cause these findings.
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Matthew Bressie

In brief: Thanks

Thanks for your question.
The areas you describe would fit a diagnosis of seborrheic dermatitis, which usually involves redness and flaking of the skin at the scalp, near eyebrows, around the nose, or in other parts of the body. This could also be eczema or possibly psoriasis, which are diseases of the skin caused by inflammation. I would recommend a visit to your doctor - it would likely only take a quick look to tell the difference and to prescribe the appropriate treatment. While these are some likely reasons, for skin problems, the only way to know for sure is to see the rash. I hope this helps. Thanks!

In brief: Thanks

Thanks for your question.
Dr. Matthew Bressie
Dr. Matthew Bressie