What can cause pain at the base of my hand. I am having pain at the base of my hand where it meets the wrist opposite the thumb. What could cause this it started all of a sudden

Dr. Wayne Weil
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Pain

Pain at the distal radial ulnar joint can be due to a number of conditions.
The most common are trauma and arthritis. Other inflammatory disorders can also cause pain in this area. The best way to determine the cause of your pain is with a consultation with a hand surgeon in order to be examined and possibly have xrays taken.

In brief: Pain

Dr. Wayne Weil
Dr. Wayne Weil
Dr. Christopher Henley
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: If

If your pain is on the thumb side of the wrist, where the bottom or base of the thumb joins the wrist, there are several causes of pain like this.
Potential causes include things like arthritis, tendonitis, and synovitis. I've written an article on this, which you can read at the link below.

In brief: If

Dr. Christopher Henley
Dr. Christopher Henley
Dr. Warren Strudwick