Why do foods taste flat when I have sinusitis?

Dr. Franklyn Gergits
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Taste

Hello. For adequate taste, smell is needed.
Often times when patients suffer with sinusitis, their smell is diminished. See your ENT doctor for an endoscopic exam and treatment. Once sinusitis resolves and smell improves I would expect your taste to follow.

In brief: Taste

Dr. Franklyn Gergits
Dr. Franklyn Gergits
Dr. Rodney Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Decreased smell

Decreased or abnormal smell sensation during sinusitis makes things taste flat, as the characteristic taste of most food is primarily a function of smell.

In brief: Decreased smell

Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. Thomas Klein
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Loss of smell 1st

You can lose your sense of smell when you have a sinus infection.
When you lose your sense of smell you then have a diminished or absent sense of taste. The sense of smell can be reduced by sinus infections because the nerve endings in the nose that lead directly into the brain that help one smell can be blocked during an infection.

In brief: Loss of smell 1st

Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine