What's going on in my ear when I hear rushing sounds?

Dr. Tracy Benhamou
Dentistry

In brief: Clenched Muscles

The sound you are hearing, ( like a distant freeway noise) is actually the blood flowing through clenched muscles.
I would recommend a talon night guard.

In brief: Clenched Muscles

I would recommend a talon night guard.
Dr. Tracy Benhamou
Dr. Tracy Benhamou
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Either

tinnitus or a bruit from your carotid artery

In brief: Either

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
2 comments
Dr. Richard Galitz
Agree it is usually tinnitus which is a hair cell manifestation and probably permanent. Some individuals are disposed to also hear vascular sounds like bruits
Dr. John Ricotta
This is usually a nuisance of no medical significance, especially in persons under age 65. In older persons it may indicate blockage of the carotid artery. This can be checked by physical examination and an ultrasound if you are over 65 and have evidence of other vascular disease. If you are younger and it continues to worry you see an otolaryngologist to exclude other problems.
Dr. Dennis Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Tinnitus

Tinnitus or noises in the ear can be common.
They are usually due to ear picking up flow noises and electrical noises that occur in our head every day. These sounds often come and go. An underlying hearing loss can often make these sounds worse. A medical and audiologic examination should be considered if they are persistant or become bothersome.

In brief: Tinnitus

Dr. Dennis Diaz
Dr. Dennis Diaz