What should I do about a brownish discharge from my ear that has lasted for several weeks?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Maybe nothing

Normal, healthy wax can produce a "brownish discharge" which is perfectly normal.
You can clean it once it reaches the outer skin of your ear, just stay away from the canal. If you have hearing loss, pain or worsening ear symptoms you need to see an ENT doctor.

In brief: Maybe nothing

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Rodney Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Wax vs infection

Could be just wax.
But if it's new, or liquidy, or smells bad, or with associated pain or hearing loss, more concerning for infection. See your pmd to help figure out which of the two it is. Pmd may refer you to an ENT if it's infection.

In brief: Wax vs infection

Could be just wax.
Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. Steven Seres