Which diseases are treated with nuclear medicine? I've read online about the diagnostic properties of nuclear medicine, but there is little information about the diseases which can be treated with nucleur medicine. Which diseases are treated with nuclear

Dr. Tina Stein
Radiology

In brief: Mostly thyroid.

Thyroid overactivity (hyperthyroidism which may be due to graves disease) and thyroid cancer can be treated with radioactive iodine administered orally.
Nuclear medicine can also be used to treat the bone pain due metastases (cancer which has spread to the bone.).

In brief: Mostly thyroid.

Dr. Tina Stein
Dr. Tina Stein
Dr. Steven Chmielewski
There are some others as well, such as painful bone metastasis. But yes, by far thyroid disease with I-131 is the biggest therapeutic intervention in NM.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Mainly thyroid

Thyroid cancer and overactive thyroids are treated with radioactive iodine i131 in high dosess.
Isotope ingested by patiient is absorbed from stomach and accumulated in thyroid tissue.The thyroid tissue is detstroyed. Advanced neuroblastoma, childhood cancer, is treated with i131 mibg injected iv..Tumor accumulates isotope and is destroyed. Many antibodies tagged with isotopes are being developed.

In brief: Mainly thyroid

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. John Overbeck
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: The

The most frequent disease treated with nuclear medicine is hyperthyroidism.
I small quantity of radioactive iodine-131 is given orally. The iodine is selectively taken up by the thyroid gland and damages a portion of the gland. The iodine, not absorbed by the thyroid gland, is quickly excreted by the kidney. The goal of the therapy is to return the patient to either normal thyroid function or hypothyroidism which is easily treated with thyroid hormone therapy. Other conditions treated with nuclear medicine therapy are thyroid cancer and bone pain caused by prostate, breast or lung cancer. Exciting new therapies using antibodies to target cancer with radioactive antibodies are being developed. More information is available at the society of nuclear medicine web site: www.Snm.Org.

In brief: The

Dr. John Overbeck
Dr. John Overbeck
Dr. Steven Seres