Should I have back surgery? Have a deteriorating disk ..It's the last one. Have been in pain since august. Cannot sit for more than a few minutes. I have had 3 epidural steriod injs. Was told not to do surgery bc the protrusion was not big enough. Cannot

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Most back problems

For back pain and/or leg pain are treated w/o surgery.
10% are indicated for it if nonop care fails including: exercise/pt, medication, weight control, smoking cessation & time. A disectomy for just back pain is not indicated, a fusion may be. See a spine surgeon for an opinion. A disectomy is indicated for primarily leg pain due to nerve compression.

In brief: Most back problems

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Justin Esterberg
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: I

I understand your problem. Back pain can affect all aspects of your life.
It sounds like you have probably had an MRI that showed some degnerative disc changes at the l5-s1 disc. In general, i think it is always a good idea for patients to see other physicians for additional advice and a different perspective on things. I would recommend seeing an orthopedic spine surgeon and a physiatrist (physical medicine and rehab physician) and get their perspective on your pain and whether or not there are other treatments, including surgery, that could be of benefit to you.

In brief: I

Dr. Justin Esterberg
Dr. Justin Esterberg
Dr. Vikram Patel