Diagnosed with polymyalgia 1 1/2 years ago...Within the last few years 2 neighbors living across the street have also been diagnosed. Very cooincidental! read it could be environmental...Nothing is clear on that issue. Could you shed some light on this

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Doubt the diagnosis

I strongly doubt you have poly myalgia as a 33 year old.
This disorder is very unusual under the age of sixty. Do you mean fibromyalgia?

In brief: Doubt the diagnosis

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: While

While the cause of pmr remains unknown, a viral orgin has been suspected.
The fact that patients with pmr have diffuse achiness that feels somewhat like the flu only adds to the suspicion of an infectious cause. However, studies to date have been negative. I agree that having several neighbors in close proximity is suspicious but it must be rembered that pmr is actually quite common in people over 55 years of age and the multiple cases on your block may just be a coincidence.

In brief: While

Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Dr. William Forsythe