Can hyperthyroid change into hypothyroid after the problem gets leveled out? Two years ago i had hyperthyroid. I lost 50 lbs but after being treated for it i've gained back the weight. Now, no matter what I do as in exercising and dieting, my weight conti

Dr. Leon Katz
Bariatrics

In brief: Yes you are right

One can definitely go from hyper to hypothyroid after successful treatment.
My advise is to have your doctor run a thyroid panel on you and you will know relatively quickly i you are currently hypothyroid.

In brief: Yes you are right

Dr. Leon Katz
Dr. Leon Katz
Dr. Joseph Saitta
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Yes,

Yes, and there are several ways in which this can happen.
If the hyperthyroidism was caused by a thyroiditis (inflamation of the thyroid) there is typically a hyperthyroid phase followed by a hypothyroid phase. In most cases the thyroid levels then return to normal, but in about 5% of cases the gland never recovers and permanent hypothyroidism ensues. In graves' disease, about 1% of patients will go from hyperthyroid to hypothyroid each year as a consequence of the autoimmune attack on the gland. Treatment with radioactive iodine for hyperthyroidism will result in hypothyroidism in about half of the treated patients.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. Joseph Saitta
Dr. Joseph Saitta
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine