Squamous cell skin cancer or actinic keratosis? I’m confused. My doctor said I have actinic keratosis. Then he started talking about squamous cell skin cancer and how to treat it. So, do I have skin cancer or not?

Dr. Coyle Connolly
Dermatology

In brief: Skin cancer

Actinic keratosis is considered precancerous as less then 10 percent will progress to squamous cell carcinoma.

In brief: Skin cancer

Dr. Coyle Connolly
Dr. Coyle Connolly
Dr. John Walker
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Biopsy will tell

Only a biopsy will tell.

In brief: Biopsy will tell

Only a biopsy will tell.
Dr. John Walker
Dr. John Walker
Dr. Kenneth Ellner
Dermatology

In brief: Actinic

Actinic keratosis are the precursor to squamous cell carcinoma and it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference.
This is why your doctor may want to biopsy the lesions. Please discuss this with your doctor. I'm sure that he/she would be happy to explain what you have.

In brief: Actinic

Dr. Kenneth Ellner
Dr. Kenneth Ellner