Will a nuclear stress test make me radioactive? I’m having a nuclear stress test, and i need to know if it’s safe for me to babysit my grandkids after it? Will i be radioactive? Could i be dangerous to the kids?

Dr. Marko Yakovlevitch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: You

You will be sufficiently radioactive to set off alarms at airports, ferry terminals, and border crossings.
The sensitivity of these devices is high on purpose. However, the amount of radiation a patient emits after a cardiac nuclear scan is not considered dangerous to others. Notice that the technologists who perform these tests do not wear lead or other radiation protection and they are around "radioactive" patients every day. For the sake of completeness, however, i will add that pregnant women should not undergo this test and anyone who thinks they might be pregnant should have a pregnancy test before having any kind of radionuclide scan.

In brief: You

Dr. Marko Yakovlevitch
Dr. Marko Yakovlevitch
Dr. Daniel Zanger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Radioactive

You will be radioactive for 24 to 48 hours avoid holding small children .
The key is keeping distance the effects of the isotope diminish on s log scale when you stand 4 to six ft away.

In brief: Radioactive

Dr. Daniel Zanger
Dr. Daniel Zanger
Dr. Cindy Juster