What could cause a swelling at the back of my head at the base of my skull, and painful lump under my jaw?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Most lumps, benign

Don't start worrying.
The majority of small bumps on your head would be benign (not cancer). Lumps that can be tender are cysts, lymph nodes and less likely lipomas. Still, hard to evaluate it over the net. See your primary md who can take a good history and examen you. Given your presentation it sounds more like lymph nodes. You want to make sure its nothing scary

In brief: Most lumps, benign

Don't start worrying.
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Alan Jackson
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Need to have

This examined by your primary care doctor. Hard to tell what this is without phsyically seeing it.

In brief: Need to have

Dr. Alan Jackson
Dr. Alan Jackson
Dr. Steven Levine
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Swelling

Lot's of things, including conditions that are serious.
I suggest you see an otolaryngologist (ent).

In brief: Swelling

Dr. Steven Levine
Dr. Steven Levine
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Likely an infection

Sounds like you have an infection with a lymph node enlargement in the neck secondary to that.
See your doctor, you will likely need antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and possibly need referral for surgery.

In brief: Likely an infection

Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. William Forsythe