Are thyroid nodules always thyroid cancer? I have a thyroid nodule and my levels of some thyroid hormone are low. My doctor wants to do more tests, but i don’t really understand what he said. Do I have cancer, or could it be something else?

Dr. Molly Carlson
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Over

Over 95% of thyroid nodules are benign.
Therefore the risk of cancer is low, but can be increased in younger or older people, people with a family history of thyroid cancer, or people who have been exposed to radiation (x-rays do not count). Sometimes benign thyroid nodules can secrete extra thyroid hormone, more than your body needs. If your doctor is suspicious of this, they will order a nuclear study called a thyroid uptake and scan. If a nodule is over a centimeter, that is when we usually will perform a fine needle aspiration to get a sample of cells in the nodule. If nodules are under a centimeter and there is no evidence of over activity, we can simply monitor with serial ultrasounds.

In brief: Over

Over 95% of thyroid nodules are benign.
Dr. Molly Carlson
Dr. Molly Carlson
Dr. Chad Levitt
Radiation Oncology

In brief: No.

There are many things that can cause this most of which are benign.
Bloodworm and an ultrasound and rarely a small biopsy can answer specifically what your cause is. Most are benign in nature.

In brief: No.

Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Jack Hinkle