Are thyroid nodules always thyroid cancer? I have a thyroid nodule and my levels of some thyroid hormone are low. My doctor wants to do more tests, but I don’t really understand what he said. Do I have cancer, or could it be something else?

Over . Over 95% of thyroid nodules are benign. Therefore the risk of cancer is low, but can be increased in younger or older people, people with a family history of thyroid cancer, or people who have been exposed to radiation (x-rays do not count). Sometimes benign thyroid nodules can secrete extra thyroid hormone, more than your body needs. If your doctor is suspicious of this, they will order a nuclear study called a thyroid uptake and scan. If a nodule is over a centimeter, that is when we usually will perform a fine needle aspiration to get a sample of cells in the nodule. If nodules are under a centimeter and there is no evidence of over activity, we can simply monitor with serial ultrasounds.
No. There are many things that can cause this most of which are benign. Bloodworm and an ultrasound and rarely a small biopsy can answer specifically what your cause is. Most are benign in nature.