What can I do to improve my breathing after breaking my nose?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Medication v surgery
In the short term decongestants can help.
For 3 days and 3 days only you can use an over the counter decongestant nasal spray such as afrin or neosynephrine. If you use it for more than 3 days your nose will become addicted so don't. Medications like sudafed can help. Prescription steroid sprays can help as well. Surgery may also be necessary. See an ENT doctor within a week of the injury.

In brief: Medication v surgery
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Rodney Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Surgery
If obvious external deformity, surgery is probably best option.
If newly broken and still swollen and no obvious external deformity, you could chance it and wait for swelling to come down, breathing may improve. If not, then you'll need surgery, and if you wait too long, bones may need to be re-fractured. Best to see an ENT sooner rather than later to get an exam and informed opinion.

In brief: Surgery
Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. Rodney Diaz
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology