What’s the dye used in angiography? I’ve tried researching online, but can’t find an answer. I’m allergic to a lot of things, and i’m afraid i might have a bad reaction to the dye/contrast medium. How can I find out?

Dr. HENRY LEGERE
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Different dyes used

Ask your cardiologist or radiologist who is performing the procedure and ask what dye is going to be used.
There are different classes of rcm and they are classified according to their tonicity. The isoosmolar reagents are the least likely to result in reactions. Let your physician know your concerns and they will walk you through the options.

In brief: Different dyes used

Dr. HENRY LEGERE
Dr. HENRY LEGERE
Dr. Stanley Galant

In brief: Hyperosmolar

Hyperosmolar radio contrast media have caused problems in the past.
Low molarity dyes are currently being used with a much lower risk.. There is no reason to suspect you will have a reaction, unless you've had a previous reaction since these dyes do not cross react with things you may be allergic to.

In brief: Hyperosmolar

Dr. Stanley Galant
Dr. Stanley Galant
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology