Can i go to a party after my colonoscopy? My procedure’s on friday morning and i want to go to a party that night. Is it safe for me to go? Can i drink?

Dr. Matthew Bressie

In brief: Thanks

Thanks for your question.
Generally we advise patients not to drive or operate any heavy machinery until the following day after a colonoscopy, because the medicines used to sedate you can cause cloudy thinking and altered judgment. There is no medical reason you couldn't go to a party if you are feeling up to it, but i would strongly suggest you go with a trusted friend who can drive you and stay with that friend for the duration of the party. Let him/her know that your judgment may be impaired so he/she can "look out" for you. I would suggest not drinking alcohol that night. I hope this answers your question. Good luck!

In brief: Thanks

Thanks for your question.
Dr. Matthew Bressie
Dr. Matthew Bressie
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Take it easy

I would plan to take it easy after your procedure.
Most people are a little groggy after the sedation. You will also be dehydrated from fluid losses so drinking might not be the best idea.

In brief: Take it easy

Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Arnon Rubin