Will a psychiatrist be willing to meet with a spouse for a consult before seeing the proposed patient. My husband of 28 years suffers from dementia but can't or won't admit he has a problem. On the rare occasions when he will admit something is wrong, wit

Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: Depends

Ask the patients primary care provider to relay your concerns to a new doctor. Many will meet with you separately but contact them first to se.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Ladislav Volicer
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: It depends

Some psychiatrists may be willing to see the spouse before seeing the patient but it is not common.
You need to persuade your husband that he needs to see a physician, do not tell him he/she is a psychiatrist.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Ladislav Volicer
Dr. Ladislav Volicer
Dr. William Harris

Any smart doctor knows that they get the other half of the story by talking to the other half! realize, however, that the dr. Will basically be "taking it all in, " and does not have an obligation to disclose findings or recommendations to you unless your husband allows it.
Also, you will be charged for both visits. I know i need all the help i can get to help patients, and often family knows best!

Dr. William Harris
Dr. William Harris