Night terrors? My daughter is 2 years old she is constantly having night terrors. She cries sometimes and kicks and is constantly all over the bed? What can I do, because i really feel like she is getting the necessay sleep for a child? Where do night ter

Dr. Robin Ifft

In brief: If

If she is consistently waking around 2-3 hours after falling asleep, try going into her room around 1 hour after falling asleep and gently touching her to bring her out of a deep sleep without fully awakening her. This may alter her sleep cycle and help to alleviate the night terrors.
Do this for several nights. It may help prevent the night terrors.

In brief: If

Dr. Robin Ifft
Dr. Robin Ifft
Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Night

Night terrors are a very common problem for young children.
They seem to peak for kids between 2 years old and 5 years old. They are simply a 'waking nightmare' even though that is a misnomer as they arent really awake. They are a nightmare with the child active, moving and sometimes even with eyes open and talking, but they arent technically awake. There really is no treatment and no treatment is necessary. While they are scary to watch, they dont really bother the child and they mostly dont even know they occur. They mostly dont remember having them. Do not wake the child up, as that can be scarier for them. Usually after 10-20 minutes they go away, and if a switch was flipped, the fall back into normal sleep and are calm again. Just sit by them to make sure they dont get hurt and wait for it to go awa some people suggest making sure kids dont watch anything scary (even scooby-doo and the like) and to limit tv at all for a couple of hours before bed. Heavy mental stimulation like that may stimulate the brain to have more of these. I would recommend that the child never have a tv in their bedroom anyways, so if that is there (as well as video games obviously/computer/game handhelds), then take those out of that room as well.

In brief: Night

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Eric Weisman